Beginning in the spring of 1999, TASK has offered volunteer groups the opportunity to "Adopt-A-Day" at the Soup Kitchen.
Adopt-a-Day provides a way for your organization to sponsor every service that goes on at TASK in a day -- meals, tutoring, support programs, etc. -- and participate in the delivery of those services.
Or your organization can sponsor and participate in a single activity or a combination of activities.
Here is a list of the most common options:
- Sponsor one full day of meal service at TASK plus one week of support activities including: $5,000
- Sponsor a day's worth of meals(includes satellite locations): $2,000
- Sponsor one mid-day meal at TASK main Escher Street Facility:$1000
- Sponsor three nights of TASK's satellite meal service program
- Sponsor one dinner meal:$600
- Sponsor one week of Adult Education: $500
You can send as many as 12 people to work on your day. Volunteers must be 13 years or older. Volunteer hours are Mon-Fri, 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM, and Mon-Thurs, 3:00 PM to 5:30 PM.
Also, if at all possible, please bring for distribution that day any of the following:
- 500 pairs of men's tube or crew socks.
- 500 mini-hygiene bags -- washcloth, men's disposable razor, and soap (Irish Spring, Zest, Coast and Lever 2000 are patron favorites), in a "ziplock" sandwich bag. Men's razors are "unisex" for us.
- 500 hygiene bags -- toothpaste, toothbrush, men's deodorant, men's disposable razor, soap (Irish Spring, Zest, Coast and Lever 2000 are patron favorites), shampoo, and optionally hand or body lotion in a "ziplock" bag. Full-sized items are preferred but hotel/motel sizes are acceptable. Men's items are "unisex" for us.
- 500 mid-day bags to go -- either a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (please put peanut butter on both slices of the bread and the jelly in the middle) or a Chef Boyardee (or similar) microwave or canned individual serving of pasta plus a plastic spoon; fresh or an individual portion of canned fruit; a dessert; a juice box and a napkin in a brown lunch bag.
Contact our Volunteer Coordinator via email to make arrangements or to get additional information.